Glenn L. Martin started his company in 1917, having started an earlier company in 1912 that was acquired by Wright. The company made military aircraft in the 1920s and during the 1930s produced two significant designs, the B-10 bomber for the U.S. Army and the China Clipper passenger flying boats for Pan American Airways. Bombers and flying boats continued to be Martin’s strength during and after World War II, with the B-26 Marauder being its most notable wartime success. After the war, it was a major producer of missiles and rockets, including manned spacecraft. Martin merged with American Marietta Corp. in 1961 to form Martin Marietta and then with Lockheed in 1995 to form Lockheed Martin, the world’s largest defense contractor.
From 1924 on, Martin was based in Baltimore, Maryland.