The three Schweizer brothers, Paul, William and Ernest, founded the Schweizer Aircraft Corp. in 1939 in Elmira, New York. The company was mainly known for its gliders, and became America’s best-known glider producer. During World War II, Schweizer built training gliders for the U.S. Army, and continued to build military training gliders for the U.S. and Canada late into the twentieth century. The Canadian Air Cadets still fly them. Schweizer also license-built powered airplanes and helicopters. Schweizer survived as an independent entity until it was purchased by Sikorsky in 2004; it was closed down in 2012.
Today, the Elmira field where Schweizer built its gliders is the home of the National Soaring Museum.