The Taylor Aircraft Company was founded in 1926 by expatriate British aircraft designer Clarence Gilbert Taylor and his brother Gordon Taylor. The original Taylor company was taken over in the early 1930s by oilman William T. Piper, causing C. G. Taylor to found a second Taylor Aircraft Company in 1935, renamed Taylorcraft in 1935. This entity lasted until 1946, when it went into bankruptcy after a factory fire. Since that date, several incarnations of the Taylorcraft company have existed, the current one headquartered in Brownsville, Texas. Developments of Taylor’s original designs have continued in production sporadically.
Taylor pioneered the development of safe, low-powered, high-wing monoplanes for personal use in the United States. After designing what evolved into the famous Piper Cub and then having his company taken over, Taylor set out to design a superior aircraft. The basic Taylorcraft design differed from the Cub in having side-by-side seating for its two occupants, allowing better communication during training, and having better performance on similar horsepower. Taylorcraft built liaison aircraft for the U.S. Army during World War II and inspired the British line of Auster monoplanes that persisted after the demise of the American Taylorcraft company.